14 November 2013

Children's Book Spotlight

This last week I picked a couple books from my own collection of picture books that I have never read.  homebase is always on the lookout for good children's literature that might be getting tossed, either from her school or the library, etc.  These were a couple of Caldecott Medal winners that I had yet to open! 

Always Room For One More by Sorche Nic Leodhas (winner 1966)
This Scottish author uses a "lilting, rhyming brogue of a time-worn Scottish folktale" to tell his story and the illustrations, depicting characters in lines and crosshatch are very unique and cool.  There are quite a few Scottish words and expressions so I think the details were probably lost on Isa, but overall story is simple, fun and quick.

Song of the Swallows by Leo Politi (winner 1948)
Lovely book and story of Juan, Julian and the departure and return of the swallows from the mission in Capistrano.  We all liked this one.  The pictures with the pair of swallows cuddled up to sleep on a branch together was great.

2 comments:

  1. I love Song of the Swallows.. It is a sweet story and I love a good bird story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Song of the Swallows was new to me. Very sweet. 4Stars.

    ReplyDelete