01 October 2013

Top 100 Tools for Learning

I came across this list of Top 100 Tools for Learning today.  I do think the title should probably say something like 'tech tools for learning' or even 'software and web tools for learning'. 
The analysis data page also include who were included in her survey.  It is quite a diverse group and by no means limited to K-12 education.
That said, here are my thoughts on the list.
  • Love seeing Evernote moving up and in the top 10.  I am a big fan.
  • Completely agree with Twitter as the #1.
  • I would probably have Google Search as a close second though.
  • Surprised a little that Powerpoint is still not only everyone's go to presentation tool, but still moving up in the list!
  • I was also a bit surprised WordPress was so high, but less surprised when I saw that the survey group skewed to higher ed/training folks.
  • Feedly definitely is enjoying life after the demise of Google Reader.  Going from not on the list to #19. 
  • I don't really agree that iTunes and iTunes U should be lumped together. 
  • And I'm not sure about including "iPad", "Android tablet" and "Kindle"
  • Microsoft has got to be bummed to not see Bing on the list.
  • There are a few eLearning tools on here that I will have to check out.
Give the list a look and see if there's anything that interests you.
What are some of your favorite tools for learning?

3 comments:

  1. wow, there a lot i've never heard of.
    i use dropbox, skype, google search, prezi, itunes, blogs, my smartboard, ipads. i think having the right apps for each student is key. we use them everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur about Evernote, and was glad Dropbox is high, because it makes me sleep better at night. 2 Queries: Where is Instagram on this list , and why isn't Pinterest higher? I'll answer that second question: higher ed types don't want to admit they love it, so they don't! All I know is when I've shown it with several other educator tools, Pinterest wins hands down! I don't Tweet, but this makes me wonder what I"m missing. However, without a smart phone and a plan, I don't think it would be very effective to start now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this list! very interesting. i also use zotero (bibliography software - free), endnote (bib software - paid), scrivener for writing, sente for organizing documents, coursera for free online courses, iAnnotate pdf (for reading and marking up pdf docs), wunderlist for keeping track of tasks, notability for taking notes in class using an ipad, iTalk for recording interviews, plus a bunch of apps specific to learning chinese

    ALSO this was recommended by a friend and i'm going to start using it: http://pomodorotechnique.com/

    plus kindle, ibooks, audible, readability, goodreads, dropbox, skype, twitter, youtube

    wow maybe i have too much tech going on...haha....but it's so convenient given the need to travel

    ReplyDelete