19 September 2013

Interview with a Pope

I saw Fr. James Martin's tweet hints this morning that a big story was getting ready to be released in the America magazine and then I heard the end of an interview with him on NPR after school.  But I wasn't able to read the full interview article until this evening. It is long, but very readable.  And I am thankful for whenever I can say that about some said by a Pope!  Too many dense encyclicals and I just gave up reading a Pope JPII book because it was such a chore.

 Favorite quotes:

I am always wary of decisions made hastily. [You and me both!] I am always wary of the first decision, that is, the first thing that comes to my mind if I have to make a decision.

being able to appreciate the small things inside large horizons

I see clearly that the thing the church needs most today is the ability to heal wounds and to warm the hearts of the faithful; it needs nearness, proximity.... The people of God want pastors, not clergy acting like bureaucrats or government officials.

We must walk united with our differences: there is no other way to become one. This is the way of Jesus.

complaining never helps us find God

If one has the answers to all the questions—that is the proof that God is not with him.  

You can, you must try to seek God in every human life. Although the life of a person is a land full of thorns and weeds, there is always a space in which the good seed can grow. You have to trust God.”

You cannot bring home the frontier, but you have to live on the border and be audacious.

Also, he falls asleep in adoration sometimes, so you are in the clear, homebase. :)
And you can read some of Fr. Martin's thought on the interview here.

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed reading the full article.. I thought how sweet that his Grandmother Rosa loved him so dearly and he loved her.. very interesting about the music he likes and his favorite books.. makes me realize how "unJesuit" like my own list is... Lots to think about here. He's inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. such great quotes. fyi-the link doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete