29 May 2013

Childrens Book Spotlight

We've still been hitting up the library but I haven't really came across anything that made me stop in my tracks.  Here are one good one and one stinker to share...

"One Morning in Maine" by Robert McCloskey. 
Yes, I have a soft spot for McCloskey and all classic books.  But Isa loved it too, especially when she heard it was about a girl who loses her first tooth.  She had just done the same and loved hearing about another girl's experience with it.  I loved the illustrations of life on the coast of Maine, the drawings of trees, wildlife, water and main street business.  They are monochromatic windows into an earlier era.



"The Carrot Seed" by Ruth Krauss. Pictures by Crockett Johnson.
The book breaks the stereotype that all "old" books are great reads.  The illustrations are mundane and uninteresting.  And to say the story is weak or thin is a vast understatement.  I wasn't a huge fan of "Harold and the Purple Crayon" either but this book really not worth your time.


1 comment:

  1. Hate that book! Like the other one because Maine is always good to read about. I refuse to read the carrot seed to anyone... no point.

    ReplyDelete