26 March 2013

Namestorming

One of the more fun things I've done for my job recently was to create a list of 25 names.  I was making a mock-up of a leaderboard and I didn't want to use real names, nor did I want to use Peter Pan, Mickey Mouse, etc which people always seem to think is a cute idea.  So I just had a little ten minute name-brainstorming session and wrote out pretty much whatever came to my head.  I tried to keep it diverse and I'm not ashamed to say a few of things had me chuckling at my seat.  I highly recommend this little creativity exercise if you need some open-ended thinking in your day.

1. Jamell Sturridge - 270
2. Amela Dzafic - 255
3. Charles Umbrage - 233
4. Theo Millner - 223
5. Eleni Cosperwitz - 219
6. Mateo Findley - 217
7. Judith Goldner - 189
8. Javier Sauza - 188
9. Jerry Gilchrist - 167
10. Todd Tippleton - 151
11. Ramelina Jones - 148
12. Raven Beaker - 137
13. Charlene Brondby - 129
14. Aoife Warrenby - 120
15. Maria Mendoza-Cruz - 120
16. Harry Christianson - 120
17. Brooke Truman - 106
18. Thao Nguyen - 93
19. Bashir Patel - 88
20. Roman Khan - 71
21. David Applebarn - 61
22. Belle Brighton - 55
23. Yolanda Banner - 54
24. James Thurgood - 50
25. Sonya Potterfield - 48

6 comments:

  1. I gave it a try
    1. Oscar Salazar
    2. John Black
    3. Simon Feldman
    4. Susie Weedman
    5. Rory O'Shea
    6. Meggie Martin
    7. Tony Solokaski
    8. Alicia Pultizer
    9. Kristy Kristenson
    10 . Jimmy Jack in the Box

    :) I do teach little kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. reading that list out loud was the best thing I've done all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure why, but this my effort turns out to be mostly the opposite of your suggested exercise. I headed out to the US Census page and picked up the most common names in the US. 65K surnames = 74% of the total, 4.2K female first names = 90% of total, 1.2k male first names = 90% (who knew there was more variety in girls names?)

    Some fun xls work produced the list below -- randomized to produce 49.212 males names. The first and last names are drawn seperatly, which produced some odd pairings (I moved my favorite to the top of the list).

    ReplyDelete
  4. EBONY FEATHERSON
    ASHLEY BALDO
    SHANTEL QUON
    MARIE FARIS
    JOYCE LARSON
    CHRISTINE CRUMP
    TRACIE CLARK
    EDITH NASH
    HAZEL SABEL
    IRIS PEREA
    LOUISE GRIFFIN
    ALECIA HILL
    CASSANDRA MCELROY
    KIMBERLY MCGRADY
    NOELLE BURCH
    VIRGINIA TURNER
    DONNA JOHNSON
    FELISA OSTERMILLER
    VIVIAN GILMORE
    RITA RAYMOND
    RACHEL STEELE
    IDA SAIN
    HOLLY FLYNN
    LAUREN LONG
    SUN BLANCHARD
    GUILLERMINA LAWSON
    THERESA CAMPER
    LORIE MARTINEZ

    ReplyDelete
  5. ELSIE RABKIN
    ERNA WRIGHT
    SHARRON RING
    ANGELA SLAGLE
    DIANNE HOLLYWOOD
    TAMARA HERNANDEZ
    DAVID RICHARDS
    NELLIE REYES
    LORA EPPS
    CAROLINE LOWE
    ALBERT WEINGARTNER
    LORI DUCHESNE
    TINA MOOTY
    MARVIN LOCKETT
    CHARLES NGUYEN
    CHARLES LONG
    JOHN PRICE
    ARLENE EDDY
    LENA SIMPSON
    LUCILE RICHMOND
    IRENE MICHAELS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for blowingup this post...

    the first list was ALL girls names (who noticed that?) due to an error the entire list was only picking boy/girl once for whole group. I redid it to correct and got the list above. Which is still more female names than you'd think.....

    ReplyDelete