04 March 2013

Children's Book Spotlight

Since I get to pay a visit to our wonderful public library every Thursday with Isa, I thought I'd try out writing a little highlight column where I can share some of the good (and maybe the not so good) books that we've read there.
Here are three good ones from last week:

Mole and the Baby Bird by Marjorie Newman
This book, published in 2004, is a simple, sweet story of a young mole who takes in a baby bird.  The illustrations are fun and interesting and even though you know where the story is going all along, it still captivated me.  The story provides an opportunity to think about putting someone else's happiness ahead of your own.  As Amazon's review says, "a book that speaks to the delicate nature of love and freedom."
*This was an Isa pick.

The Umbrella by Jan Brett
Jan Brett takes her 'more and more animals coming into a defined space' theme from her wintery classic, "The Mitten" and relocates them to the cloudforest of Costa Rica.  There are some simple Spanish phrases worked in and it is a fun book to test our your different voices with the tropical cast of characters, the tree frog in particular.  Isa did not know that they were by the same author but  pointed out in the first few pages that each page has a small frame that foretells what is going to happen on the next page, just like in "The Mitten."  I was pretty impressed. 

The Three Horrid Little Pigs by Liz Pichon
I wasn't eager to read this one when, but it is a new twist is put on the timeless/tiresome classic tale.  It is fun to see the wolf in a new light, as someone who is kind and caring of others.  And it is nice to read a book where being nice, helpful and friendly is celebrated. 
*This was an Isa pick.


2 comments:

  1. I want to read the Mole one... I believe there are other Mole ones too.. I didn't care so much for Jan Brett's ... she repeats her stories a little too much for me...I just saw that wolf one at Barnes and Noble but didn't get a chance to look at it... love this idea of a review... did you finish Trumpet of the Swan???

    ReplyDelete
  2. We DID finish Trumpet of the Swan and it was a big hit. We watched the video version of the story afterwards (not great, but it does have Reese Witherspoon as the voice of Serena).
    I think Mr. Popper's Penguins might be next!

    ReplyDelete