28 January 2013

The Pelicans

I saw this announcement in the news last week and we had a good discussion about it in my office.  The New Orleans Hornets are now the Pelicans and have all new branding. 
I, personally, love the choice of mascot.  I am tired of the stand-by vicious animals (Lions, Tigers, Wolves, etc.) and equally tired of the stale weather conditions (Thunder, Heat, etc.).  I think about some of the charismatic team names from clubs that have been around for ever and there is no way some of them would get chosen today.  Knickerbockers, 76ers, Red/White Sox, Yankees, Bengals, Browns, Pistons, Penguins, Oilers, etc.  Not really fear-inducing when you think about them, but they have become part of popular society. 
I love the front-facing pelican, especially that leading edge white outline on the wings.  Very cool.  Plus navy & red is one of my favorite color combos.  The only thing I wasn't super sold on was the 'crescent basketball'.  I wanted the crescent to stand out a bit more.
And the "bird-de-lis"?  Dig it. Check out the link for the full review.

This news also reminded me of another sports team branding article on this same site that I came across in their end of the year list.  Check out their review of the Stockton Ports.  (just in case you are hesitating on clicking the link...the logo involves asparagus.  'nuff said)

That site also had a pretty hilarious run-down of some of the worst rebrandings of last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment