10 September 2012

Gameday Cooking

This is a breakdown of how I spent my Saturday:  cook, clean, dishes, football, repeat.
I started the day with a trip to the grocery store, came back and cooked a simple breakfast of eggs and an english muffin then sat back to enjoy College Football Gameday.  During the breaks and slow parts, I also started the extensive our apartment needed.  It was great to enjoy my favorite TV program again and get caught up on football around the country.  Once they were done with the predictions (bad call on A&M, Coach)  I started my cooking in earnest.  I had picked out a recipe from Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen  and gotten the specialty items I needed from La Tapatia the night before.  "Robust Red Chile Beef Soup with Mexican Vegatables (or Mole de Olla)" was the challenge for the day.  It was a lot of fun prepping all the veggies, simmering the beef and bones, soaking & pureeing the peppers, and I got a chance to try out chayote for the first time (and have a little photo op with it).  The soup amazingly was ready right at the start of the Iowa/Iowa State game so it worked out just right.  And it was pretty delicious.  Not out of sight remarkable, but a very nice beef & veggie soup.  Very enjoyable.  I wish the same could be same for the game. At least the Irish game, which we had going on the projector and also came down to the last possession, had a better turn out.
For the night game (pretty much flipping back and forth between Georgia/Missouri and UCLA/Nebraska), I made a quick batch of gameday nachos using some the only heirloom tomato my garden produced this year, some leftover grilled chicken, black beans, jalapenos and finished off three different partial bags of shredded cheese from our frig. 
There are few things that make me as happy as having a freshly cleaned apartment, windows open, college football on, soup simmering on the stove, and a 2 liter of pop in the frig. 

1 comment:

  1. Love the look of those Nachos.... yum, great corn in the soup, looks very tasty. Great job.

    ReplyDelete