30 September 2012

Gameday Cooking: Sopa de Fideos

Minovia and I started the weekend off Friday with a nice quiet outing for pizza on the patio at Gusto followed up by "To Kill A Mockingbird" at the Varsity.  [sidenote: I did not recognize Robert Duvall in his screen debut as Boo Radley.]  Such as great film, #1 AFI Greatest Hero, #25 AFI Greatest Movie, Oscar for Gregory Peck, AFI #1 Courtroom Drama.  And that theater is honestly one of my favorite places in the entire city.  Cheap tickets, homemade caramel corn, cheap concessions, locally, independently owned, great line-up of foreign films, documentaries, classic pictures, old comfy seats and right in my neighborhood.
Saturday we had enough time to get a few groceries and be back in time to enjoy College Gameday.  On the spur of the moment I decided that we should make our own picks and see who fares the best over the course of the day.  So I grabbed a pastry bag and we chose our winners as the guys went through the big games.  As the picture shows, I came out on top in the first installment of this game.  Then we watched some team take it to the Minnesota Gophers.  The announcers said it was the Iowa Hawkeyes but they did not look like any Iowa team I've seen this year.  Fingers crossed that that team sticks around for a while.
With the Irish having a bye week, we had a perfect break in the programming schedule to head to the mall and shop a bit.  Jeans for me, shoes & sweaters for minovia. In the evening, we made a sopa de fideos (Mexican tomato/noodle soup) from the Rick & Lanie book and it's simple flavors were comforting.  I made it a little thicker than I probably should've, but it hit the spot. 
Sunday was capped with Paula Deen's pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting.  So yummy and so healthy for you! :)

2 comments:

  1. I want to try that recipe, can I find those noodles at Fareway? Those bars look good.. but... 8 oz of cream cheese just for the frosting? is that what was good for you-- ha ha... or was it the 2 cups of powdered sugar... or 8 oz of butter.... when I saw Paula Deen... I just had to comment... then I would eat one of these. Look tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, i was being sarcastic with the healthy comment. But boy are they tasty!
    You can probably just use angel hair or vermacelli pasta and get a very similar result. if not, look at jacobo's in omaha or I can bring you some actual fideo noodles.

    ReplyDelete