17 May 2012

Starbucks Nutrition

I like Starbucks.  I am not afraid to say that.  I am not a coffee drinker, in fact I have never had a cup of it in my life, so maybe that why I don't get caught up in the "you have to support your local coffee shop" argument.  I've probably tried three or four sips at different times when people urge me "just try it," thinking that the way they make it will make the light bulb go off for me and I'll instantly say "Oh, Wow!  THAT'S what I've been missing!"  It hasn't happened yet.  I don't like it, I don't like the coffee flavored-anything, I don't like the smell of it. 
What I do like is chai.  I think the first time I had it was in Iowa City at the Java House when I tried my aunt's and, that time, I did instantly know that I had a new favorite hot drink.  There is good chai (Java House, Starbucks, Mars Cafe, Ritual Cafe) but there is also bad chai (Grounds for Celebration, Smokey Row).  And there is chai from home, organic 500 Mile chai from Gong Fu, which I've written about before
I'm definitely not a daily Starbucks person, but I probably end up the once or twice a week in the morning to do some work before heading to my schools.  Oatmeal with dried fruit and nuts (no sugar) and a grande chai is my standard order.  I switched to non-fat a couple weeks ago, thinking it might be an easy way to trim some calories. I thought it would be much thinner but I haven't even noticed.  Curious about the fat/calorie info, I went to their website this morning and compared a grande chai made with 2% (240 cal, 4.5g fat) and one made with no-fat (210 cal, 0g fat). And the oatmeal comes in at 140 cal, 2.5 g fat, the nuts are 100 cal, 9g fat and the fruit is 100 cal, 0g fat.  Yikes, those nuts are fatty!  Hopefully those are "healthy" fats.

1 comment:

  1. love Starbucks myself, the smell is invigorating even if I drink decaf. Good thing they don't have one too near, they are $$. But I have found no substitite that I like as well.

    ReplyDelete