26 March 2012

Garden v.2.0


[BEFORE]
This is what I had last year.  It was a great start but I'm ready for more room.
[AFTER]
Stuck with the same plan and expanded in both directions, tripling my space.
($38 + $13 for dirt)
 I got a bird feeder!  Filled it up, hung it in the front yard, walked to the back to grab my camera and this is the scene that I returned to.  Seriously less than two minutes.  It was called the Squirrel Stumper so we'll see if it lives up to its name. ($18 + $10 in food)
 Hung up a passed-down hammock using two ratcheting tie-downs.  It is a bit tricky so will need some further adjusting but it is comfy!
($18)
Doesn't look like much but this is what $100 gets you at Home Depot.  Actually I got quite a bit of stuff and was happy with my purchases and their costs.
 Last year my tomatoes did great but they took over and starved some of the other plants.  This year I think I am going to move the tomatoes over to the tractor tire garden and have 3 plants there.  The other main garden space will be for beets, onions, basil, carrots, peppers, etc.  I also have several pots that will be good for cilantro, marigolds, or whatever.  I think I will add some chicken wire around the garden to keep out the rabbits also.

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear how your garden turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO excited about the hammock! Lesson learned, though, that doubling it up does not work :)

    You did a great job with the garden expansion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jealous! I think ours might get a major rebuild this summer so no produce for us. Can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I love the tractor tire garden idea, I have a spare tractor tire if you need another one.
    You might try planting the marigolds around your garden. They have a pungent smell that is supposed to keep insects and pests out of your garden (some newer varieties have that smell bred out though). I always found that my husband with a pellet gun was more effective so I haven't actually tried the marigold thing but might be worth a try if you are planting them anyway.

    ReplyDelete