15 January 2012

Veggie Soup

Combining my agenda to eat up more of what we have already in our kitchen with my stomach's urge to make & eat some soup today, I decided to put together a vegatable soup.  I didn't want to follow any recipes so I looked over a couple and then closed the books and improvised from there.  I love using up things already on hand and, in addition, the soup turned out pretty darn tasty! 

1 white onion, 7-8 small carrots, 5-6 staulks of celery (using all the inside little ribs and leafy parts too), 5-6 cloves of garlic, 1 shallot, 1 leek.
Heat some EVOO, saute the veggies til the onions soften.  Add a can of chopped tomatoes, a can of chick peas and a box of chicken broth.  Season to taste with salt, pepper & herbs.  Simmer for 20-30 minutes.  Blend in batches, return to heat.  I topped mine with some grated Parmesan since that is what was in my frig.  Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. Love it, I made Gone All Day Stew today.. I will use your cheese on the top idea.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughts:
    1. Great idea to improv the soup
    2. Hooray for celery leaves!
    3. Hooray for anyone who happens to have a random leek waiting around for just such an occasion. I need to widen my veg selections at the market.
    4. Chick peas -- nice touch to give it some heft.
    5. There's no rating here.... How did you like it?

    ReplyDelete