28 January 2012

Cedar Waxwing

A report in the Iowa Ornithologists Union mailing list shared that someone has driven through Water Works park during their Friday lunch and spotted a flock of Cedar Waxwings there.  Since I haven't marked them off my life list, I headed down there this morning and, thanks to the detailed report that they were in the crab-apple trees by the entrance, it didn't take me too long to find them.  There were probably a couple dozen of these sharp looking birds zipping between trees and snacking on the crab-apple fruits.  They are very slick trim birds and their colors and markings are so distinctive, the black mask, the vivid bright yellow tail band, and the red dots on the wing tips. 
A great way to start my sunny Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. I love that bird, so showy. I often see them by the river, in thickets and sometimes a snowy day at the feeder. No birds at all at the feeder this year, I am saving on feed this warm no snow winter. Great day for you, I am off to Rapp Park today. Bird On!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the red and yellow colors! (again, even I can appreciate this bird...from a distance :) )

    ReplyDelete