10 November 2011

Taking a Personal Day

There are few better ways to spend a restorative personal day than back at home in southwest Iowa. 
My Jeep has needed new tires for a while and the guy running the only garage/gas station in Farragut does a good job with finding tires that are on sale or running a rebate so I had him get me four new shoes for the Jeep.  (Switched from Goodyear Wranglers to Cooper Discoverys and they look great!)
After wrapping up my last training on Wednesday, I stopped at home to change, grabbed a pop and hit the road, making it home just at the sky went black.  Even though I was only home for not quite 24 hours, homebase and I packed a lot of fun in.
  • A delicious meal of chorizo con papas and guac from the Rick & Lanie book, one of my faves.
  • Watched some of the CMA's, which led to me downloading some new songs.  I really feeling Miranda Lambert lately!  It was nice that her and her husband, Blake Shelton, won female and male vocalists of the year.  And that T-Swizzle won entertainer of the year.
  • Spent some time working on helping put some clarity to the financial side of homebase's last few years of teaching.  It may not sound like fun but I love creating spreadsheets, so it was enjoyable for me.
  • Things get started early on the farm (or really anywhere when homebase is involved).  I was up at 6:30 and making homemade doughnuts shortly after.  We had some mixed results.  The last batch were pretty tasty I thought.  This was a practice run for Thanksgiving.  I'm excited to try a yeast dough and see if that makes them better.  
  • Dropped off the Jeep to get new treads, stopped for a pop at Marty's Mart where the window proudly proclaims, "Biscuits & Gravy, all day, everyday" and we went to do some birding at the Riverton Wildlife Refuge.  Lots of hunters out, yet we still encountered some fun species.  I was able to check off the pie-billed grebe and the American coot.  Although it was very brisk out, it was a gorgeous morning.  
  • Made homemade noodles which later went into the chicken and noodle soup and they were fantastic.  I am definitely going to make these noodles a few more times during the winter.  So simple but so great!
  • Enjoyed a game of Scrabble while watching "How to Steal a Million."  It is one of my favorite Audrey Hepburn movies and I happened to have it from Netflix so I brought it down home with me.  Audrey is at the peak of her hotness.  Her hair and makeup are perfect and would look just as impressive today and the Givenchy outfits are amazing.
  • I headed back after a nice walk, enjoying the sun, and got back in time to watch Spy Game, one of my favorites.  And homebase sent me back with an amaryllis for the holiday season so I can't wait to plant it and track its growth!

1 comment:

  1. haven't had such a fun day in awhile, great to enjoy a day at the farm with company. Noodles are wonderful. There is a poem we used to recite in first grade.

    Oodles of Noodles

    I love noodles. Give me oodles.
    Make a mound up to the sun.
    Noodles are my favorite foodles.
    I eat noodles by the ton.
    Have a great Friday...off to the Orchard with 80 first graders-- :) a wonderful day. Really. They will love it.

    ReplyDelete