31 August 2011

New Header

I went in a different direction than usual on this one.  I came across an Illustrator tutorial that I thought looked cool and I know that I have a serious deficiency of knowledge in that area so I went for it.  And even though mine ended up looking nothing like the tutorial, I am fairly happy with the results.  Illustrator still stumps and frustrates me, but I did learn a few things in the process.  The biggest snag is that the yellowish background color looks quite different on here than it did in Illustrator/Photoshop. And that the text isn't centered top to bottom.
I started with a background rectangle, added a ton of skinny rectangles to make the pinstripey lines, blended a image of concrete to add texture, used a vector image of a wreath to go around my logo, took a color picture of three walking penguins, made it into three layers with each having a different brightness/contrast, used Live Trace with a black and white logo setting and then made each layer a different color and reassembled the penguins, slapped on some text with a drop shadow, added a stroke to the whole thing and ta-da!  I thought about going back and adding a shadow to the penguins but it would be took much work at this point.  Much more to learn, but I'm happy to have something new out there for a while.

1 comment:

  1. Can't go wrong with penguins.

    Excited to see what you come up with next, having gained more Illustrator knowledge.

    Good work!

    ReplyDelete