14 August 2011

Dining In

I went from Monday night to Saturday night last week without going out for a meal!  That is quite a change and one that I am excited about.  I've been tracking my expenses the last few months and, although I already knew it, it is motivating to see how much I spend on eating out.  That large orange section is Food & Dining and I'm thinking it probably shouldn't be my #1 category.  I will be working on doing better.  I've cut way back on the "Big Gulp trips" that I take with caboose.  Going back to work has helped with that.  I am going to stay away from Starbucks; I got in the bad habit of stopping in there at the end of the last school year.  I need to do a few more things to be successful at dining in more and cutting back on the Food expenses...
  • Do better about choosing 2 or 3 dishes to cook each week.  The leftovers can fill in on the other nights or can be taken as lunch. I need to remember that these can be simple things - grilled vegetables, stir-fry, black beans & rice, chicken on the grill.  Planning a meal doesn't have to be a big, expensive production. 
  • Write down what I am going to cook that week on the chalkboard.  That solidifies the commitment and hopefully will be a great reminder.
  • Get groceries, but not just random things.  Go with a purpose, buy just what I am going to use.  A full frig is so much easier to make a lunch from than an empty one. 
  • Schedule my school visits so that I can stop by my house for lunch, which is what I did successfully last week.  Sometimes packing up a lunch isn't very feasible, but it is always easy to make a quick stop in and fix something. 
Hopefully these goals will help out with my new fitness goals as well!

6 comments:

  1. Great job! Eating out is definitely one of my top "extra" expenses too. Sounds like you've got a great game plan to help stay on track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow your example- so tonight--garbanzo and sweet potato koftas. Yummy. Made as a casserole as I couldn't face the patties.-- that stressing of a day at work.!! Having a glass of wine while cooking helped, can't do that every night though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know you'll do a great job at sticking to this. i find it very fun when it's all said and done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J. Pepin has 2 great books on this -- The Fast Food My Way ones. Good to browse through just for ideas on how to approach some standard ingredients differently. also most are few elements simply prepared -- great for week night prep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. im with you! so glad my new job has me out of the starbucks loop and food court lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. stoppable, i may have to check out those books next time i see you.

    ReplyDelete