30 August 2011

Birding!

I never got a chance to post my recap of my birding expedition from a week ago.  After driving home after the Dowling game Friday night and getting to bed ~1:00, homebase got me up at 6 am to start our birding.  And I'm glad she did because we had a great morning.  I should back up a bit and say that homebase has been a lifelong birder and so I've always enjoyed them also, but it's been years since I've done much with it.  A few months ago we drove through the Riverton Wildlife Refuge and her knowledge of birds and all reignite my interest.  I then bought a copy of Peterson's Bird Guide to Eastern North America.  I checked out some websites and found this nice, detailed guide to birding Fremont County.  So homebase and I had talked about trying it out and last Saturday we set out to cross some birds off our lists.  We left home at 6:28, with the sky showing some great colors but before the sun actually came up (6:48).  We hadn't gone more than a mile or two when homebase made our first spotting, as we were cruising along the road at full-speed no less.  I hit the brakes, put it in reverse and when we came back, he was still there...a Great Horned Owl sitting on the top of a grain bin.  Very cool.  From there we went to the Riverton Wildlife Refuge where I got to get the little mud on the tires of my Jeep and we saw a few more.  Our most productive location was at Waubonsie State Park, lots of breeds in the trees and no one around to disturb them.  There we found an Eastern Towhee that was not shy, sitting at the top of a tree, tweeting away and not troubled at all by us.  We also were able to see the flood waters from the lookout area.  And the worst location was Manti Park.  It is very helpful for me to go with someone who know lots of different birds already, since I would have to look each new one up to see what it was.  By 9:30 or so we were back home and checking out some unknown birds in the guides and online.  A great morning and I am looking forward to another session this fall!

Louisiana Waterthrush/Bay-breasted Warbler?
2 more undetermined Owls

2 comments:

  1. This was a great morning, new ones for me too!! I didn't know Wabsonie would be so good. Fun for me to just ride along and spot things. Thanks for coming. Great Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are putting your book to good use!

    ReplyDelete