30 December 2010

End of Year 2010: Books

My book list this year is a bit disappointing for me.  It is quite a bit shorter than last year and it is lacking in quality also.  There were some great ones in there, just not as many of them.  Next year I think I'll try and write a few sentences of my thoughts when I finish each book.  Then I'll be able to share them all at the end of the year.  For this year at least, I'll have to be content with breaking them into three categories...

EXCEEDS: 
Tattoos on the Heart by Greg Boyle
The Power of Boundless Compassion
The Power of Half by Kevin & Hannah Salwen
One Family's Decision to Stop Taking and Start Giving Back
Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder
Healing the World:  The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer
Three Weeks With My Brother by Nicholas Sparks
How Starbucks Saved My Life by Micheal Gates Gill
A Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else
Love is a Mixtape by Rob Sheffield
Life and Loss, One Song at a Time 
How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone by Saša Stanišic 
Brilliant Orange by David Winner
The Neurotic Genius of Dutch Football
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
The End of Poverty by Jeffrey Sachs  (I'm only 1/3 done but I'm loving it.)
Economic Possibilities for Our Time

ACHIEVES:
Moon River and Me by Andy Williams
A Memoir
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
My Losing Season by Pat Conroy
A Memoir
The Christmas Tree by Julie Salamon 
29 Gifts by Cami Walker
How a Month of Giving Can Change Your Life
The Balkan Express by Slavenka Drakulić
Fragments From the Other Side of the War 
Rough Guide: Costa Rica
The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof & Sheryl WuDunn
Turning Oppression Into Opportunity For Women Worldwide

DOES NOT MEET: 
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
Choosing Civility by P.M. Forni
The 25 Rules of Considerate Conduct

Past Lists:  2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004.

7 comments:

  1. Good tier names. (But its "Does Not Meet" in frame-land)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixed. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My List:
    1.Strength In What Remains-Tracy Kidder
    2.Just Like Us-Helen Thorpe follows 4 Latino Girls through high school-very good.
    3. Singing My Him Song-Malachy McCourt-biography-good
    4. The Last Song-Nicholas Sparks-hmm-okay
    5. Half the Sky-Kristof, excellent
    6. Read My Pins-Madeline Albright-excellent, a picture photo fact book of all the pins she wore during her years of service-
    7. Staying True-Jenny Sanford, interesting.
    8. Highest Duty-Capt. Sully Sullenberger-fair
    9.Clara's Kitchen-Clara Camucciari, wisdom and recipes from the Great Depression by a 94 yr old Italian lady, she's got several youtube clips! Great!!
    10. North by Northwestern-Cap Sig Hansen, a seafaring family on deadly Alaskan waters, love him on Deadliest Catch
    11. The Art of Learning=Josh Waitzkin, kid chess genius and tai chi champ tells about focus and learning--very good.
    12. Change Your Brain, Change Your Life-Daniel Amen-good
    13. Leading WIth the Heart-Coach K, very good.
    14. Somewhere Inside-Lisa Ling-good. about her sister getting jailed in Korea.
    15. Being Catholic Now- Kerry Kennedy-issues about Cathoic Life -all points of view by 31 American Catholics-good
    16. Tattoos on the Heart-Gregory Boyle, SJ--excellent--This man knows compassion. works with gang members in LA
    17. Super Foods Rx- Pratt/Matthews.-excellent,
    18. Council of Dads-Bruce Feiler
    man who has cancer picks 6 best friends to help his young children if needed.
    19. 3 Weeks with MY Brother-n. Sparks-very good.
    20. Promise Me-Nancy Goodman Brinker-she started the Susan G. Komen foundation for her sister when she dies very young from Breast Cancer
    Didn't read much these last 2 or 3 months. I will be getting back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, one of the best--21. Rediscovering Catholicism by Matthew Kelly- excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So the Heart is a Lonely Hunter was an epic fail....but, I'm glad Love is a Mixtape made your list

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three Weeks with My Brother!
    Great book, somehow got left off my list. Thanks for the reminder.
    You've got a great list mom! I'll have to add a few of those titles to my list for 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent lists! Sorry so late to chime in, but for some reason I lost the RSS feed. I thought you were simply distracted! Not at all! I agree about the Sachs book, and his follow-up, Common Wealth, follows in the tracks of End of Poverty. I share several titles with Homebase that I, too, enjoyed: the Waitzkin book, Coach K's book (thanks to Abba), and Amen's brain book (although I'm not sure his prescriptions work as a DIY project). All in all, some very good lists and comments. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete