13 September 2009

What a Saturday...

Hail to the Admirals, Hail to Victory...
'Til the walls and rafters ring...
Shake down the thunder from the sky...
The eyes of Texas are upon you...

Everything was going great until the last minute of the Notre Dame game yesterday. If they had held on to their lead and won it would've been the second week in a row that all my teams had won. Farragut, Iowa, Notre Dame, Texas. But they didn't and Michigan scored, won, and broke my heart. Sigh.
Otherwise, yesterday was a great day. Woke up and went for a run around Gray's Lake, sporting my Iowa colors. Stopped at Gateway for a few supplies and then went home to cook and get ready for the games. Haley, Matt & Oliver came over & I made guacamole to go with our chips & salsa. The Hawkeyes put some of the worries after last week's debacle to bed with a serious thumping of ISU. I made BBQ chicken legs on the grill which turned out nice (Rick Bayless' BBQ spice rub is great). I also made the Scrumptious Chickpea & Spanish Chorizo soup from Jamie Oliver's book for the game and it turned out VERY tasty. I love getting a soup going before the game and having it smell up the apartment nicely and then having a tasty hot bowl at halftime or between games. I tried to shake off the pain of the Irish defeat by grilling some brats and then cleaned up and went out to meet some friends to watch the US Open semifinals. It was a fun match to watch, with Serena and Kim Clijsters battling it out. I was cheering for Kim; I like her battling back to fitness after having a baby, being unranked and away from the game for two and a half years. Serena was getting frustrated throughout the match, breaking her racket when she hit into the net to lose the first set. But the big fireworks began when she was down 5-6 in the second set and behind 15-30. She was called for a footfault and she lost it. That made it 15-40 (triple match break point) and she unloaded on the line judge, who was a little Asian lady. Serena walked over to her, shaking her racquet at her, and directed some choice language her way, "I swear to God I'm [expletive] going to take this [expletive] ball and shove it down your [expletive] throat, you hear that? I swear to God." Yikes. Since this was her second conduct violation (the first was the racquet abuse) she was given a point penalty...and it happened to be match point. Ouch. A very crappy way to finish a very entertaining match. She did walk over and shake hands with Kim before going into the locker room. Kim stayed on the court for a bit, seeming to think that maybe they'd end up playing out the point. Well, I know who I'll be cheering for in the final on Sunday night! Read about it, Watch it. Overall a great day of food, sports and friends!

3 comments:

  1. I had an amazing Saturday as well ... Thanks to the HAWKS. I found an i-club and decided to wear my loud hawk outfit. I have worn it for the past 3 years for the IA/Iowa State game. Including bells! The plaid black and gold skirt proved to be lucky!!! I not only cheered on my favorite team in a room full of IA folks to victory but made new friends. I won't be watching the games at home alone anymore. GO HAWKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is SO fun when you can find like-minded people in a different place. i remember finding a couple hawk friendly bars in chicago that were great for game watching.
    and, i too, am a firm believer in dressing for the occasion. if you are going to root, due it all the way!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. crazy tennis stars... that's like losing the NBA finals b/c your coach got a technical foul called...

    ReplyDelete