10 September 2009

Book Sale!

The two biggest used book sales of the year are going on in Des Moines this week. The Right to Life sale started on Wednesday and the Planned Parenthood sale a day after. I went to the RTL one on the opening day. You have to pay to go on the first day, but I figured it was worth the $5 to get a crack at it before it was too picked over. I would say 80% of the people there had hand-held scanners and were professional buyers and going like mad, scanning books and throwing the keepers in their two-wheeled tubs. Serious business. I took my time and found a lot of good stuff. I cut my box full of books in half before I went to the check-out and still came home with some fun stuff, mostly contemporary classics as well as a few kids picture books to add to the sizable collection I've accumulated without any reader for them in the forseeable future.

5 comments:

  1. tear :'(
    "...a few kids picture books to add to the sizable collection I've accumulated without any reader for them in the forseeable future."

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. "Stone Soup" ?!? I must borrow that, I am pretty sure I made my mom make that when I was little, LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome picks, especially the kids' ones. Snowflake Bentley, no better book. Gotta make stew with 22 first graders year after year to appreciate Stone Soup!! A great day in the fall when that event happens. You searched and found Man's Search for Meaning-Ha ha. I want to borrow Crossing the Threshold. Wish I could have came to the RTL one too. Nothing better than new books on the shelf, well... new itunes music is a close second. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to add that all that only cost me $9.25!!!
    L - my library is always available for check-outs.
    homebase-maybe you should come up this weekend and we can hit them both, they may be a little picked over though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fun event -- i think i'd like to work that for a buyer... scan, ding, toss, move; scan, bonk, reject, move;

    i could work up a sweat before i got out of the first aisle. (i'd also practice some subtle blocking tactics)

    ReplyDelete