19 August 2009

Quotes...

I've always been a big fan of quotes. Maybe because I'm not great at forming my own thoughts and feelings into powerful statements that are thought-provoking, easy to understand and remember. I've got books of quotes that I love to flip through. I've got lists that I've made and keep with me of favorites. Just lately I've added a few more to that list, and the Fuel column at Gapers Block had people sharing some of their faves last week. I thought I'd share a couple of ones I've added to my list.
  • Ancora Imparo - written by Michelangelo in the margin of one of his notebooks. It is Latin for 'Yet, I am learning' although often used as 'Still I am learning'. I find it humbling and motivating at the same time that such a great mind was engaged by his own learning to write that down. It reminds me of two things; not to forget the joy of learning something new and never give up on something because we can continually improve and learn.
  • If you reveal your secrets to the wind, you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees. - author, Kahlil Gibran. I don't know if this is from 'The Prophet' or not because I haven't read it. But I did just read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" and this quote came up in that book. I thought it was funny, and most definitely true.
  • Esse quam videri - 'To be, rather than, to seem' - I love the idea behind this quote, but it is too cumbersome to ever think I'd use or repeat it.
  • All that is necessary for the perpetuation of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke. A great quote, but I just found out that it is most likely a misquotation, and an interesting one at that. It looks more likely to be from Leo Tolstoy.
  • Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. A friend of mine recently brought this passage to my attention and I really liked it. Now, a week or so later, I'm reading "Franney and Zooey" and that exact same passage plays a very significant role in the book.

3 comments:

  1. me too, me too!

    I have several lists, that I keep telling myself I'll condense into one, but....

    anyway one from my currently accessible list:

    You better know what you want to be before somebody knows it for you.
    Astronaut Farmer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quotes are a LOT classier than mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely picking up the book now!

    ReplyDelete