27 April 2009

Feeding Four for Under $10

No, readers, you have not missed out on my news of a wedding and two kids. The title of this post was inspired when I heard a short pience on npr last Monday. "How Low Can You Go?" is a thing they are doing where people submit their recipes for a meal that will feed four for less than a Andrew Hamilton-embossed note. It probably would have went in one ear and out the other if it hadn't been for two facts: one, I was driving to go eat dinner so I was hungry and my stomach was listening and, two, the recipe they were discussing was Garbanzos con Espinacas. Most of you are aware that the unique garbanzo/chick pea is one of my favorite foods. This piece was very fun to listen to, so if you are interested, I would suggest that route. It's only eight minutes long and the chef is very entertaining to listen to. I'm going to try this one out soon and I am going to think a little bit on what I would submit as my favorite family meal for under a ten-spot. Readers- feel free to leave your favorites in the comments section!

4 comments:

  1. Not original but always appreciated:

    Tuna Casserole - runs about $7 for 8 servings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shrimp & Spinach Pasta - from Giada (original calls for arugula) runs ~ $8 for six servings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eggplant & Tofu StirFry - Essential Asian makes 4 servings probably $5 total

    ReplyDelete
  4. half a sack of m and ms for one, $2.12, but quite a belly ache.

    ReplyDelete