14 March 2009

Jane Eyre

I enjoyed reading 'Crime & Punishment' last year over spring break (and the following months) at the suggestion of my AP Lit teaching friend. So this year they are reading 'Jane Eyre' over break. This one did not take long at all. I really loved it! I was a little bit hesitant before I started it. As I senior in high school I read 'Wuthering Heights' which was written by Emily Bronte, the sister of Jane Eyre's Charlotte Bronte. I just remember 'Heights' being dense and hard to get through but luckily, 'Jane Eyre' was not like that at all. It reminded me of 'Oliver Twist' a little and that is definitely a good thing. I am following it up with 'Wide Sargasso Sea' which tells Bertha's side of the story.

Favorite lines:
"there is no happiness like that of being loved by your fellow-creatures and feeling that your presence is an addition to their comfort."

"We were born to strive and endure - you as well as I: do so."

Vocabulary list:
timorous
torpid
turpid
captious
artifice
parterre
poltroon
penurious
moiety
perfidious
ameliorated
resurgam
soporific
officious
caprice
assiduous
celerity
palliate
salubrious
contumelious
sagacity
avaricious
prurience
refulgent
cumbrous

3 comments:

  1. Well, I just finished reading Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig to a group of first graders and here is the vocabulary I liked in that wonderful tale.
    fetlock
    gratified
    ceased
    perplexed
    gully
    concluded
    stone-dumb
    aimlessly
    sassafras
    timothy compote
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "and he wished a wart on his left hind fetlock would disappear"

    "Mrs. Duncan set out the picnic food on the rock-- alfalfa sandwiches, pickled oats, sassafras salad, timothy compote."

    ReplyDelete