24 February 2009

25 Things

So this '25 random things about me' has been going around Facebook for a while now and I was not planning on giving in and doing it, but I read one that someone had put some time & thought into and I really enjoyed it. So I thought I'd give it a try...

1.I've got two brothers and they are the best people that anyone could dream of. Nothing I could write here could convey how much they mean to me.

2.My mom is the best and I am more and more thankful and impressed by her the more I learn about her.

3.I love my Irish heritage!!

4.I grew up in a town of 500 but also lived in a city of 7 million. And I loved both places.

5.I was born in Iowa City in University Hospitals on Homecoming weekend, so it was inevitable that I'd be a Hawkeye fan.

6.I love crosswords and sudokus but hate brain teasers.

7.Camp counselor during summer camp at the Lakeview YMCA was the most carefree fun I've ever had while calling it a job. And, not only was it great, but doing it led to me becoming a teacher.

8.I am often amazed, thankful, proud, and admiring of my students' abilities, their attitudes, their ideas and work ethic. And I love it when a 16, 17, 18-year old can teach me something new.

9.I am often discouraged, disheartened, and disappointed by my students' attitudes, their work ethic, their apathy and their negativity. I don't like that a 16, 17, 18-year old thinks that there is nothing of value that I can teach them.

10.I love sports. And I love competition. Everything from football, basketball, track in high school to soccer, volleyball, tennis for fun now, to ping-pong in the basement when my family gets together. I love it all.

11.Music is my therapy. It is the quickest way to turn around a bad mood. Even though I don't play an instrument, I love exploring new music and different genres. I love hearing about new music and expanding my library....so lemme know if you're listening to something good I should know about.

12.Lists and statistics and grouping & organizing things make me very happy, always have. I used to alphabetize and organize my mom's pantry and spice cabinet. I love 'to do' lists. All the "Best of..." lists that come out the end of the year make me incredibly happy.

13. I spend a ridiculous amount of time at Grounds for Celebration, even though I don't drink coffee. I do all my work there and LOVE their iced tea (free refills!) and chocolate-chip scones.

14. I often think about what I would do with my millions and how much fun it would be to spend them and give them away if I were to win the lottery...even though I've never bought a ticket.

15. Shoveling snow is one of my most enjoyable winter activities.

16. I love cooking and taking pictures...and taking pictures of my cooking.

17. I have not given up my hope to be capable, if not fluent, in another language.

18. adidas is the only brand of shoe that goes on my feet.

19. Countrytime Lemonade made from powder in summer is one of the best drinks ever.

20. I love jeans, hoodie and a stocking hat. That could be my winter uniform if I didn't have a job.

21. I remember the day my black labrador got hit by a car and died. It was one of the saddest days of my childhood. And even though I am still not a fan of indoor pets, I think one day I might like to have an outdoor dog again.

22. Sad, sorrowful and tragic stories seem to appeal to me. Not in my own life, but in movies, books and music, it seems like the sadder, the more I am into it.

23. Its been 5 years since I traveled outside the country and I'm itching to get some more stamps in my passport this summer. Destination is still up in the air.

24. I love shopping at thrift stores. Partly because I LOVE a good bargain but also I enjoy the hunt for a cool item that someone else got rid of.

25. Attitude and outlook make such a world of difference. We choose how we are going to view the world and all that happens to us. Our choices affect not only ourselves but everyone we come into contact with. A smile or kind word can make all the difference. I am a firm believer in the butterfly effect.

1 comment:

  1. Gee, great idea and great list. I learned some things I didn't know, like you were there when Cletus got hit. It was so fast and shocking, I remember it clearly too. Someday you will know what a wonderful feeling it is to hear your children say they love and care about each other. It's the best!! thanks.

    ReplyDelete