24 December 2008

2008 Book List

Here's a little recap of what I read this year and what I thought of it. Not exactly in order but I took a shot at it...

More Than a Dream
- G.R. Kearney
"How one school's vision is changing the world"
I really enjoyed this inside look at the effort and planning needing to start a new Jesuit school in Chicago, get & keep funding, develop curriculum, create a new 'work' idea, select a faculty, keep it all going and formalize the whole ideal so the Cristo Rey schools can be franchised out. Read my review HERE.


Crime & Punishment - Dostoyevsky
"in order to get to know anyone, it is necessary to approach them cautiously and by stages."
That's the same way I made my way through this book. It was good and I'm glad to have read it. Check my previous posts on my
favorite quotes from the book and vocab I didn't know.


The End of America
-Naomi Wolf
"A letter of warning to a young patriot"
This book shines a light on our freedoms and the gradual decaying of them that has been going on. It makes some very interesting comparisons and, while maybe a bit over-the-top in places, educates a new generation of patriots to be vigilant and aware of their rights.


Animal Farm - Orwell
This was a re-read, but it'd been several years since my first time through it. I took it with me to Seattle and it was a great traveling read. It followed up 'The End of America' very nicely!

Naked Economics - Wheelan (half-done)
"Undressing the dismal science"
I only made it halfway through this one this summer before I was enticed to move on to a different book, but it is very good. I've really come to enjoy economics and this book is humorous, interesting and very educational. Great explanations and no graphs, no formulas.


This I Believe - edited by Allison and Gediman
"Personal philosophies of remarkable men and women"
This was a good compilation of personal statements that were the perfect length for reading aloud and sharing. Some were definitely better than others, and I marked them in the table of contents so I can return to them again later without trudging through the boring ones.


A Long Way Gone
- Ishmael Beah
"Memoirs of a boy soldier"
Although a few parts of the story seemed to drag on, the overall story is incredible. Awful, gut-wrenching and so far from my own teen experiences it was hard to fathom. I've had several students who were refugees from Sierre Leone, so it was educational for me to learn a bit more.


Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris
It's extra fun to read his stories after hearing him speak. It adds an extra layer of enjoyment to it. This is a great collection of hilarious tales.

When You Are Engulfed in Flames - David Sedaris
This one took a while to get going for me. He's a bit older and I didn't get into the stories as much, until the end. The last third of the book or so was all about his experiences in Japan and quitting smoking. That was the best part in my opinion.

The Killing of Robert F. Kennedy - Moldea
"An investigation of motive, means and opportunity"
Thorough and dense, it wasn't a fast read, but it was very informational and filled in a lot of holes in what I knew about this tragedy.


The Twilight Series (Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn) - Stephanie Meyer
I haven't finished book four yet, so I can't speak about the whole series since I don't know how it all will finally play out (if it ever does). I will have to write a more detailed review once I finish. It's been a fun, fast read but one whose writing and Bella's character left me frustrated at times.

For a look at past Reading Lists: 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004

2 comments:

  1. That's a pretty heavy list! Its cool that you have a few years archived now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i love being able to look back on previous years!

    ReplyDelete