28 December 2007

2007 Book List

OK, so another delicious list for you to feast on:

1. When Courage Was Stronger Than Fear by Peter Hellman
Remarkable Stories of Christians Who Saved Jews from the Holocaust.
Five accounts of true selfless heroism.

2. Maus: My Father Bleeds History, Here My Troubles Began by Art Spielgelman
My first ever graphic novel and it was amazing. There is so much written into the illustrations. The incredible Pulitzer Prize winning story of the father relating his WWII & Auschwitz experience as well as the relationship between the father and the son.
3. To End a War by Richard Holbrooke
One of my Bosnian themed readings over the summer. A great inside look at the difficulties & dynamics of international diplomacy.
4. The Apprentice by Jacques Pepin (audiobook)
My Life in the Kitchen.
This was such a fun autobiography to listen to. It was one of the highlights of my trip to Chicago with homebase.

5. Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
One of only two pieces of fiction on my list, and another Pulitzer Prize winner. This was very enjoyable. I watched it on a recommendation from Connie and after watching "The Namesake", which was based on another one of her books.
6. Banker to the Poor by Muhammad Unis
Micro-lending and the Battle Against World Poverty.
A great documentation of how small ideas can have massive impact.

7. Augusta, Gone by Martha Tod Dudman
Whew. This is a rough one. I was riveted reading this mom's story of the endless battle with her daughter.
8. Paddy on the Hardwood by Rus Bradburd
A journey in Irish Hoops.
This was a very fun story of a coach who ends up coaching a semi-pro team in Ireland and his challenges in getting things going as well as his own exploits in learning to play the fiddle.
9. Redemption by Leon Uris
The sequel to "Trinity". It was good, but it spent a lot of time retelling the storyline from "Trinity". Still very fun.
10. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
One Man's Mission to Promote Peace...One School at a Time.
Pretty incredible, the devotion, determination and single-mindedness of this guy. And I was able to see him speak too!

11. Witness to Genocide by Roy Gutman
The First Inside Account of Ethnic Cleansing in Bosnia
Pulitzer Prize winning documenting that help break the news of the atrocities in Bosnia.

12. Zlata's Diary by Zlata Filipovic
A Child's Life in Wartime Sarajevo
It's so interesting to read a young teen's account of extraordinary circumstances. Not as spellbinding as Anne Frank's Diary, but still very good.

13. Heat by Bill Buford
An Amateur's Adventure as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-maker and Apprentice to a Dante-quoting Butcher in Tuscany.
Lots of fun and I learned some things too! A great look at the dynamic of a kitchen and also lots of interesting stuff about Italy, Italian food, pasta-making, Mario Batali, and butchers.

14. The Freedom Writers' Diary by Erin Gruwell
How a Teacher and 150 Teens used Writing to Change Themselves and the World Around Them.
A good motivator and 'feel-good' teaching story. Some very exciting, original, powerful lesson/teaching ideas. We read it in our advisory/home room when I was student teaching.
15. Pursuit of Happyness by Chris Gardner
Another one read aloud to homeroom. The movie is very good, but there is SO much more in the book!

I also had a couple fun re-reads of some of my favorites, Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea and Leon Uris' Trinity.
I only got halfway through The Worldly Philosophers, but I'd like to get back to it at some point. And I've started four different books right now and they all are great!

1 comment:

  1. Love book lists, you must email ours to Steve as he lives for that list every year.Of course, love #1 When Courage Was Stronger Than Fear. enjoyed your copy of Paddy on the Hardwood, and enjoyed Three Cups of Tea so much I bought it. Enjoyed our evening at the lecture and Afghan restaurant with E and you even more.Here are a few of my favorites this year.
    1. Splendid Solutions-Salk polio vaccine story. very interesting
    2. Beckham, autobiography, great! :)
    3.A Hand to Guide Me. Denzel Washington. legends and leaders celebrate the people who shape their lives.
    4.Bird by Bird by Anne Lamont. Had to read it with that title. funny and interesting.
    5. Giving by Bill Clinton. Good
    6. Listening is an Act of Love.NPR story corp. Very good.
    7. The Christmas Tree by Julie Salamon. Love the story, I want to read it to the grandkids, enjoyed by all ages.Story narrated by gardener from Rockfeller Center.About growth and learning to love. I just ordered it on Amazon for 2.98!!
    8.In Praise of slowness, rec. by middleson, I got tired of the slow pace, should that tell me something.?
    9.Dinner with Dad- Cameron Stracher. A lawyer writer decides to make dinner 5 nites a week for his family for a year. funny and fresh, the writing, not the food. Steve, are you up for that challenge?
    10. The Trees in My Forest, Bernd Helnrich. a great nature book with fantastic sketches in black and white then colored inserts. Mighty fine.
    Since my wonderful kids gave me Netflix last winter I have lots of good movies for a list sometime. And a repeat wonderful gift of Netflix has me scanning the website for another film filled winter. So far have watched The Lives of Others and The Sea Inside.

    ReplyDelete