22 September 2006

Tuna Casserole

After reading a comment from schulerin on stoppable's blog that mentioned tuna casserole, I instantly knew that I wanted to make that for dinner. I hadn't made tuna casserole, or any casserole for that matter, since we last had cool weather, so probably ~7 or 8 months. I knew I had a bag of wide noodles and several cans of tuna, so I stopped by the local grocer's to pick up the few remaining needs. On my way to the grocery store, I had checked in with homebase and with stoppable to run my idea of replacing the peas in the recipe with broccoli by them. I was surprised that it was met with a cool and unenthusiastic response by both respected culinary minds. It made me second guess my idea and consider augmenting the broccoli with some other ingredient, but in the end, I stuck to my guns and went with just the green trees. It was an enjoyable cooking episode. I had cleaned the kitchen just the day before so everything was washed, scrubbed, wiped down and gleaming. I had two dozen eggs in my frig so I hard boiled 1 dozen of them. The two hard boiled eggs are one ingredient that I often leave out, just because it adds ~15-20 minutes to your prep. But this worked out great because now I have a portable breakfast to grab in the mornings. I shredded a brick of sharp cheddar cheese and added some shredded Romano that I had left over. I put it all together and put it in the oven and then topped it with some crushed tortilla chips for the last 5 minutes of cooking. I have to say that it was probably the best tuna casserole I've ever made. I loved the broccoli in there, because I put it in frozen so it heated in the oven but it still had a little snap to it.
It is very nice to have other people to share my creations with. ellen ellen was always very good about complimenting and critiquing my food and I wouldn't enjoy cooking for myself as much, so it is great to have caboose & loiltes to share with. Oh, and I enjoyed a Polish brew, Lezajsk while in the kitchen. Very nice.

3 comments:

  1. fair play to ya -- stuck to your guns and voila, a new variant emerges!

    tossing it in frozen was wise, i can't stand mushy broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  2. off topic; but reading the post above just reminded me of an office-language goof.

    Email comes out from the VP, a big pep rally kind of email... after praising the team's efforts he types:

    WAALAA look what we've become.

    at first I thought this was some sort of cheer... then i realized it was an phonetic attempt at voila.. hee hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was some good casserole, although I'm not one for that much broccoli. Luckily, roscommon didn't mind taking my green scraps.
    Stoppable: Theres nothing more humorous than people in upper management that obviously couldn't pass a 12th grade spelling test. My example: Struggling w/ homonyms. Their/They're for example.

    ReplyDelete