27 December 2005

2005 Book Lists

I couldn't really trim down my list too much. With only 1 or 2 exceptions, I enjoyed everything I read this year, maybe that means I'm not qualified to be a critic or I am just easily entertained. Whatever it is, here is what I liked this year...

1. To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
2. Bobby Fischer Goes to War - Edmunds & Eidinow
3. Smashed - Koren Zailckas
4. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
5. The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck
6. Night - Elie Wiesel
7. Educating Esmé - Emsé Raji Codell
8. Candyfreak - Almond
9. Emperors of Chocolate - Joel Glen Brenner
10. Domers - Kevin Coyne
11. The Last of the Donkey Pilgrims - Kevin O'Hara
12. How Soccer Explains the World- Foer
13. Making the Corps - Ricks
14. There are No Shortcuts - Rafe Esquith

Please post your favorites in Comments.

5 comments:

  1. AND...of those 14, I only purchased TWO, one of which cost me 50 cents (The Good Earth). Thanks to Chicago Public Library and the generosity of family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell I need to widen my reading lists.Here are some of mine
    1. Bread of Three Rivers-Sara Taber(The history and cultural of the Best French Loaf
    2. Rick and Lanie's Excellent Kitchen Adventure-Rick and Lanie Bayless. Great cookbook read
    3. Wild Swans-Jung Chang 3 generations of women in China
    4. Dreams of my Father- Baraka Obama
    5. My favorite Tree-Diane Iverson
    6. 'Tis Herself- Maureen O'Hara
    7. The last of the Donkey Pilgrims-Kevin O'Hara.Ireland travels
    8. Owls Aren't Wise and Bats Aren't Blind
    9.Dying to Cross-Jorge Ramos-mexican immigration
    10/ Candy Freak-like Jake's yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are last years if you'd like to review.

    http://jacobregan.blogspot.com/2004/12/2004-book-lists.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  4. My last few comments are disappearing.. or getting deleted by the blog owner!
    At any rate, here's my 2cents here.

    1. I like SNG's idea on logging the books as you read them, b/c when it comes time to list them, I realize I have forgetten a lot of them, or at least when I read them.
    2. A long time ago we had discussed a reading page to track/rate our progress through some top 100 lists... I'm going to see if I can find any more info on that.

    For 2005, all I can recall:

    Marines of Autumn - James Brady
    Enders Game - Orson Scott Card
    Madame Secretary - Madeline Albright
    All the Laws but One - William Rehnquist
    Slander - Ann Coulter
    Treason - Ann Coulter
    My Life - Hillary Clinton
    Bourne Identity - Robert Ludlum

    Madam Secretary was probably the best of the lot with the Ann Coulter books as very fun reading, but light fare (political satire/humor). I gave up on Hillary's book after about 2 - 3 chapters, but reading SNG's glowing review has prompted me to re-add this book to the list for 2006.

    Here's to greater organization for 2006!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have to admit i have not read many regular books this past year. however i will say that Old Jules by Mari Sandoz is one of the best i have read in a long time. also...three cheers for to kill a mockingbird it is my all time favorite book. i think i've read it a dozen times (no kidding).

    ReplyDelete